Cobblers, pies, or fresh off the vine!!! Any way you like them, Blueberries are one of the healthiest foods you can easily produce for your family. They are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, keeping your family's immune system in tip top shape. Here is how you can get home-grown Blueberries going in your garden.
- Dimensions: 3-6 feet tall and 4-6 feet wide, depending on cultivar
- Growth Habit: Shrubby, woody form with a medium to fast growth habit
- Foliage: Deciduous in winter, small green foliage spring and summer
- Blooms: Small white blooms in spring that will turn to fruit. While there are self-fertile or self-pollinating varieties, I prefer to get 2-3 different varieties for cross-pollination. This cross-pollination will yield more fruit on each shrub and is necessary in most cases.
- Hardiness: Protect the plant from freezing temperatures during winter. Water well during periods of growth.
- Toxicity: Non-toxic to pets
- Light: Plant Blueberry shrubs in full sun (6 or more hours per day)
- Water: Water shrubs regularly during the growing season (spring and summer)
- Soil: Soil should be well-drained and acidic. You can acidify soil using several different methods. See a Louisiana Nursery Professional for these methods.
- Fertilizer: You can use an all-purpose fertilizer like Growers Special to feed over the summer. In Spring, you can use a bloom boosting fertilizer like bedding plant food to make the most of your crop.
- Pruning: Pruning should be done in January-March. You should prune any branches that are close to the ground so the fruit won't touch the ground when it sets. Also, remove any crossing branches to allow light inside the shrubs.
- Use smaller varieties in containers so you can move them in and out as necessary during winter.
- Use more varieties for more yield on each shrub.
- Can be used as an "edible wall" or screen when using taller cultivars.
Family gardening is gaining popularity because it brings the family together in a way that many other activities can’t. There is a common goal involved that, when achieved, everyone can feel good about. Blueberries are a fantastic, easy-to-grow shrub that will reward your loved ones year after year.